We store cookies on your device to make sure we give you the best experience on this website. I'm fine with this - Turn cookies off
Switch to an accessible version of this website which is easier to read. (requires cookies)

Local News and Events

  • Article: May 4, 2019
    Thanks to all the hard work by our team, we have also regained seats on Southwell Town Council!!
    Sadly Keith was the only one of us not to get elected but here are the votes:
    Southwell West
    Peter H 544
    Steve 478
    Karen 500
    Peter Scorer 482
    Sally Reynolds Independent was also elected with 408
    Malcolm 448
    Lyn 493
    Also elected were Penny Rainbow 502 (Con), Paul Handley 424 (Con) and Beryl Prentice (Independent) 469
    Martin 392
    Stuart 386
    Also elected were Roger Blaney 319, (Con) Michael Jeffrey 332 (Con) and David Martin (Independent) 336.
  • Article: May 4, 2019
    Malcolm Brock and Peter Harris were elected on to the District Council, Penny Rainbow (Con) was also elected and Stuart Thompstone, unfortunately was 4th so not elected.
  • Article: Apr 22, 2019

    Yet Another Inflation Busting Rise

    Council tax Bills are set to increase again in April. Overall there will be an inflation busting 4.5 per cent rise with the Conservative led County Council demanding 4 per cent more. Since austerity began, our Council tax has gone up by nearly 50 per cent.

    In just three years people living in band D houses are now paying an extra £245 in Council tax.

  • Pavement Southwell 2
    Article: Apr 22, 2019

    The quality of the repairs to our pavements is a regular topic on the doorstep. The patching is almost more dangerous than the original holes.

    Remember, you can report problems on-line at roads/potholes/report-a-pothole

    When is the County Council going to ensure that Via do a decent Job?

  • Green Lib Dem Logo
    Article: Apr 22, 2019

    The Government has set a 20 year deadline for the full introduction of electric vehicles. In the meantime we will need a dramatic increase in the number of charging points.

    Locally progress has been slow. One single point has been put into the new Castle House car park . A year ago the Town Council asked the District Council about its plans throughout the District. A joint project installing a large number of charge points would reduce costs significantly. So far the District Council has not responded.
    With the need to reduce carbon emissions becoming more and more urgent, Liberal Democrat Councillors will push hard to have these important measures installed.

  • Hopewell Rise Southwell Starts
    Article: Apr 22, 2019

    Every major housing development must pay a Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) to the District Council. The charge enables the Council to invest in local infrastructure to support communities as they expand.

    Developers in Southwell have paid £496,000 in CIL money since summer 2014. The Town Council originally received 15% of the levy but this increased to 25% with the adoption of the Neighbourhood Plan. The District Council decides how and where the remaining 75% will be spent. Most of the levy seems to have been allocated to projects in and round Newark instead of Southwell.

  • Pothole Vicarage Road
    Article: Apr 22, 2019

    It's official; Nottinghamshire has the worst potholes in the Country.

    Over the past five years the County Council has paid out £5.1 million in compensation to motorists and cyclists. This is the largest payout by any Council.
    Even after two years in charge, the Conservatives are blaming the previous Labour administration for the poor state of our roads. However the decade of under-investment began when the Conservatives were running the Council until 2013.

  • recyle logo
    Article: Apr 22, 2019
    By Peter Scorer

    Although recycling has become more important nationally, Newark and Sherwood has failed to keep up.

    Ten years ago, Liberal Democrat District Councillor Peter Harris convinced the Council to introduce silver bins, taking the District to 51st in Local Authority rankings. By 2017 Newark and Sherwood had dropped to 303rd, only managing to recycle 30 per cent. Even in Nottinghamshire it is second lowest.